Thursday, August 12, 2010

Men and "THEIR" Hair

I must admit, I'm a Facebook junky, I wake up in the morning and check statuses even if I don't change mine. I might wake up in the middle of the night and check a status, well it just so happens that as I do every morning, I was checking Facebook and came across a posting from a male friend of mines and it said something to the effect of "Thanking God ___________________ has done away with that "going natural" nonsense..." I clued in on the "going natural nonsense" why because I'm new to natural and love it. his post goes on to say that no man wants to see naps they want soft relaxed hair....I began to think and then commented. As my day progressed I asked several good men I know one question "How do you feel about natural hair?" Here are some of their comments.

"I think it's nice as long as the lady takes care of it and don't let it do it's own thing."

"If it's a good grain it's a go."

"I love natural hair"

"If your hair is fake I have to skate and that's all I have to say about that"

"That's what chics do when they can't afford to get their hair done.....Just clownin...it's okay on some chics...I don't really dig it though."

My favorite of all responses:

"I $%^&ING LOVE IT. THE NATURAL SMELL, IT DOESN'T ITCH OR IRRITATE ME WHEN I'M BEHIND YOU, NO CHEMICALS. PLUS I CAN PULL IT WHEN I NEED TO."

As you can see from the several post from these few men, it's almost a win-win situation. It's amazing to me how men in general put so much thought into their lady's hair as if they are rocking it themselves. When my man friend saw my hair, his reaction wasn't that he didn't like natural it was the fact I basically went full speed ahead and chopped it off. The last time he saw me it was long and when he saw me a few weeks later it was short and curly. I have gotten compliments from men on my new hair, who didn't really comment I had a relaxer and would get a cute cut and color.

I think the whole "beef" with natural is the way the woman rocks it and we, men and women, have been conditioned to look at hair to be beautiful only if it has a relaxer in it, not if it is naturally kinky or curly.

I say love "YOUR" hair men, your lady may be trying to show you another side of her, a more daring side. Sexy comes from within, not on top of the head. I know many have seen a not so sexy chic but her hair was fried, dyed and laid to the side. It's not about the hair it's about the confidence one exudes when rocking their hair.



Until next next time...

1 comment: